Since 1983, National Park Trust has completed 76 land acquisition, restoration, and mitigation projects to protect more than 25,000 acres in 32 states, one U.S. Territory, and Washington, D.C. 61 of these National Park Service projects have benefited 48 National Park Service units. Although our current work focuses solely on our national parks, we also have completed 3 U.S. Forest Service projects, 3 National Wildlife Refuge projects, and 9 state and local park projects.
Recent Projects Include
Projects By State
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve (2002)NPT helped the National Park Service purchase the Chititu Mine and a 907-acre property that became part of the park. The Chititu Creek area produced the most gold in the Nizina mining district in the first half of the 20th century. The 907-acre parcel of private land and numerous historic buildings associated with the mining community are now under the permanent protection of the National Park Service.
Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve (1986)National Park Trust assisted in the donation of Coal Creek mining claims to the National Park Service, valued at over 5 million dollars. Some of the park area was populated by miners beginning with the 1898 Gold Rush, with dredging continuing into the 1970s. The expansive and unchanged 2.5 million-acre wild landscape allows native wildlife such as wolves, brown bears, wolverines, Dall sheep, and moose to flourish. Peregrine falcons, which were endangered by the pesticide DDT until it was banned in 1972, recovered naturally in Alaska; there were 11 nesting pairs at Yukon-Charley in 1975 and 50-60 most recently. A striking characteristic of the park is its geology. Since 95% of the park escaped glaciers, its ancient geology is visible, intact, and not covered by glacial debris.
Afognak Island State Park (2004)The National Park Trust provided funds to the Brown Bear Trust to help with the preservation of Afognak Island. With the Park Trust's assistance, they have established a volunteer coordinator who pays particular attention to bear habitat issues. The park was identified in 1892 as one of the nation's first conservation areas. Most of this park is undeveloped and pristine except for an area south of Seal Bay that was partly logged in the early 1990s. The park is known for its rugged topography, dense old-growth Sitka spruce forests, and salmon spawning habitat. Kodiak brown bear, Sitka black-tailed deer, Roosevelt elk, and the endangered marbled murrelet inhabit the park, which is just north of Kodiak Island.
Ouachita National Forest (2004)NPT played a critical role in obtaining the conservation easement of the 2,300 acre Johnnycake Ranch, and we continue to hold and monitor it. Johnnycake Ranch provides habitat protection for the American Bald Eagle while benefiting the Wilderness Area and National Forest on its borders. It provides a buffer zone to ensure the continued ecological viability of these federal assets.
Redwood National Park (1997)National Park Trust gave the NPS funding to support the administrative process of accepting the donation of the 6.2-acre Prairie Creek Fish Hatchery from the State of California. Acquisition of the hatchery, in the park’s scenic corridor, ensured the protection of streamside vegetation and maintenance of the park's cultural landscape. The hatchery is one of only three remaining in the state of the 150 that were built between 1871 and 1946. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is significant in that it retains most of the original buildings and structures from 1936 when the hatchery was completely rebuilt. The state raised and released steelhead, cutthroat trout, and Coho and King Salmon; it closed in October 1992.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (1998)
National Park Trust loaned the National Maritime Museum Association funds necessary to complete a major restoration of the Balclutha, a historic 300-foot three-mast square-rigger with a steel hull, built in 1886 as a deep-water (fully oceangoing) cargo ship. It ensured the ship, designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985, will survive intact for many years.
The full-rigged vessel is an important part of the collection at San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park. It began service in 1887, flying the British flag, with a 140-day trip carrying coal from Scotland to San Francisco and returning to Europe with a load of grain. From 1899 to 1901, it was the last ship to sail under the flag of the Kingdom of Hawaii, sailing the Pacific in the lumber trade. It finished service in the salmon fishery, transporting salmon and cannery workers between California and Alaska from around 1901 to 1930. It slowly deteriorated until purchased and restored by the San Francisco Maritime Museum in 1954.
Sequoia National Park (1998)National Park Trust provided funds to complete the purchase of the last remaining private land, 21 acres, in the Mineral King/Sequoia National Park area of the Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park, California. A local rancher who was prospecting struck silver at what became the White Chief Mine and spawned the silver rush of 1873 to 1881. Today the area is popular with hikers, who can travel the 2.9-mile trail into a scenic and undeveloped area of the park. Before the purchase, the private inholding was being marketed for possible use as a private residence or ski area, with helicopter access.
Mojave National Preserve, CA (1998 & 2002)The Park Trust purchased a 1.5-acre parcel containing a historic schoolhouse for the National Park Service. The Park Trust then distributed almost $34,000 to local conservation groups from the Hesperia Flood Settlement.
Joshua Tree National Park (2001)In 2001 NPT purchased an 80-acre in-holding in Joshua Tree National Park which contained a critical segment of the Rockhouse and Thermal Canyon Trail network. The property was also an excellent habitat for the chuckwalla, a large, shy lizard. The property is located in a wild, rugged, and remote corner of the park affording visitors wonderful opportunities for solitude and a sense of discovery. NPT donated the parcel to the National Park Service (NPS) which will ensure it's protection it in perpetuity.
Point Reyes National Seashore (2001)National Park Trust staff provided technical assistance on how to proceed with the transfer of major telecommunication in-holding to NPS. This diverse natural coastal park has some of the remaining 1% of northern prairie grassland, 490 or 50% of bird species found in North America, and over 50 species of state of federal endangered or threatened species. It also has over 300 historical structures, ranch houses and barns, lighthouses, and radio receiving station.
California State Parks (2004)NPT has been a resource to the State in the protection of a biologically significant hill region.
Yosemite National Park (2010)NPT partnered with the Pacific Forest Trust to help the National Park Service expand Yosemite National Park’s western boundary to include approximately 1,000 acres which were part of naturalist John Muir’s original vision for the park. NPT has also helped complete the steps needed for the additional acquisition of ‘trophy’ properties under threat of development. Acquisition of these vital lands represented an important milestone in celebration of the park’s centennial celebration in 2016.
Pinnacles National Park (2011)NPT accepted the donation of a property, the Bear Valley School, which was adjacent to Pinnacles National Park (formerly Pinnacles National Monument). The one-room school house was significant to the history of the community. It was funded by local donations and constructed in 1903, serving as a school until 1950. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014, and remains as a well-preserved example of the common school movement in the United States. The 1.5-acre property maintained the only public school in the community for half a century and most of the people who homesteaded the community sent their children there. Though it closed as a school in 1950, it took on a new role as a community hall, managed by the Farm Bureau. It hosted Farm Bureau meetings, church functions, organizations such as 4H, and was a venue for community events such as holiday celebrations and card parties. NPT donated the property to the National Park Service to be protected in perpetuity as part of Pinnacles National Park.
Mojave National Preserve, Ivanpah Desert Tortoise Research Facility (2014)
The 7-acre Ivanpah Desert Tortoise Research Facility was acquired and built by Chevron in 2011 as a creative partnership between the company, the National Park Service and National Park Trust. It was part of a settlement to pay for the negative effects of the Mountain Pass rare earth mine on the desert tortoise population (Gopherus agassizii), a species listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. The center breeds and raises young tortoises to an age and size where it is more difficult for predators to catch them; when they reach that size, they are released into the wild. The program has been successful, so far, in increasing the wild population.National Park Trust took over custody and management of the facility under a lease from Chevron while the National Park Service completed due diligence for transfer of the property from the corporation to NPS ownership. Under this arrangement, NPS was able to begin research there immediately, over two years ahead of the time when they took ownership of the facility in late 2014. Chevron also donated an additional $491,000 to the Park trust which it distributed to NPS over 9-years (2011-2019) for research projects. Read more about the protection of this land.
Yosemite National Park – Ackerson Meadow (2016)National Park Trust partnered with the Trust for Public Land (TPL) and Yosemite Conservancy to acquire and donate an adjacent environmentally important property, a 400-acre meadow, for inclusion in Yosemite National Park. The Park Trust provided the due diligence and transaction costs. The NPS modified the boundary to include the property in the park and TPL closed on the acquisition in February 2016. The meadow was part of the original 1890 plan for the park and was the largest addition to the park in 67 years. The meadow is important because of its biological diversity. The meadows of Yosemite comprise about 3% of its land area but include one-third of all plant species found in the park. The meadow area also includes the highest density population of state endangered Great Gray Owl known to exist in the Sierra Nevada.
Lassen Volcanic National Park (2020)National Park Trust helped acquire one of the few remaining private properties in a remote area of Lassen Volcanic National Park. Park Trust used their newly established Treasure Forever Fund, to secure the property, allowing the National Park Service to purchase the land. This victory means this unique .6 acre section of forest in the Sierra Nevada Mountains will be accessible to the public and permanently protected in its natural state, preventing the land from being developed. It also helps protect one more segment of the historic Nobles Emigrant Trail, a western migration route pioneered by William H. Noble in the early 1850s. Read more about the protection of this park.
Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area (2010)The National Park Trust and the Wilderness Land Trust formed a partnership and acquired a 10-acre inholding perched on a high ridge within the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Area in the White River National Forest. This pristine property is located in the majestic mountain ranges between Aspen and Crested Butte, Colorado. The parcel has been transferred to the US Forest Service for inclusion in the wilderness area. Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness was one of five areas in Colorado designated as wilderness in the original Wilderness Act of 1964.
Rocky Mountain National Park (2016)In 2016, National Park Trust partnered with Rocky Mountain Conservancy, The Wilderness Land Trust, and local funders to purchase a 12.5-acre property that was going to be listed for sale for only the second time in the last seventy years. With a 2,000 square foot house perched on a rocky overlook and easy motorized access, the demand for this private property within Wild Basin would have been great. It was the largest privately-held, developed parcel located in that area of the Park. The removal of the house and access drive followed by addition of the parcel to the Park will enable the Park to formally add 33 acres to the federally designated Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness Area.
District of Columbia
Rock Creek Park (2004)
National Park Trust purchased a 0.6-acre parcel of land in the historic Brightwood neighborhood of Washington, DC, adjacent to the Fort Stevens section of Rock Creek Park. The lot had been approved for a 13-townhouse development, which would have changed the character of the community, as well as taking more land away from what had been Civil War-era Fort Stevens.
The Civil War battle at the fort in July 1864 was notable for several reasons. Seasoned soldiers at the fort turned away an attack on and threat to the Nation’s capital by Confederate General Jubal Early. President Abraham Lincoln, who went to see the battle, became the only president in history to come under fire when Confederate sharpshooters shot at him as he watched the fighting; in fact, a surgeon standing next to him was severely wounded.
Acquisition of the property and transfer to the National Park Service helped preserve an important historical landmark, as well as fulfilling the local community’s desire to maintain their neighborhood as a cultural and historical heritage area.
Big Cypress National Preserve (1985 & 1990)National Park Trust purchased 100 acres of privately-held land from 18 separate owners, for incorporation into the Preserve. The agreement with the National Park Service was that the Park Trust would hold the title for the land until federal funds were available to purchase it. The NPS was able to buy the property, and thus protect forever an area of ideal habitat for the endangered Florida panther. The first national preserve protects 729,000 acres of bald cypress swamp, sawgrass plains, pine groves, and mangroves that are home to iconic Florida animals like the Florida panther, alligator, manatee, and roseate spoonbill.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (2013)In honor of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, NPT supported the Trust for Public Land in the acquisition of a 42-acre privately-owned property at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield in Georgia. The hallowed ground, known as Nodine’s Hill, was part of the active battle field. The transfer to the National Park Service preserves remnant Union entrenchments, rifle pits and cannon emplacements. NPT also developed an educational module to connect kids to this park; it is in use by local elementary schools in Georgia. The course has science, historical and cultural components that help students discover the value in protecting and preserving the park for future generations through lessons, discussions and field exercises.
Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site (1996)National Park Trust worked with the National Park Service to purchase 1 acre of privately held land next to the park. By removing dilapidated buildings, the National Park Service made the park a safe space for families. The additional land made it possible for them to create a “welcoming gateway” for visitors to the park. The additional land also made it possible to build badly needed parking facilities for cars and tour buses. New parking allowed easier access to the park as well as diverting traffic, particularly tour buses, away from residential neighborhoods, where they had been parking in front of homes. The park commemorates the life and achievements of civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The home in which he was born, the church for which he was a minister, and his tomb are in the park. The park is also part of a historic district in the heart of Atlanta.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (1985)National Park Trust provided technical assistance in a 5,650-acre federal/state land exchange. The park has two of the world’s most active volcanoes: Kilauea and Mauna Loa. Snow is what you would see at the right time of year on 13,677-foot Mauna Loa. There are seven ecological life zones in the park beyond the rainforest you associate with Hawaii; for example upland forest and woodland, sub-alpine, and alpine zones. The park is home to many animals and plants that are unique to and only found on the Hawaiian Islands, including only one terrestrial mammal, a bat.
Craters of the Moon National Monument (1997)National Park Trust purchased a 37-acre parcel of land and transferred it to the National Park Service to become part of Craters of the Moon National Monument, and completed the acquisition of lands within the boundaries of the park. The land acquired was the source of year-around water flow, the park’s main water supply, and the only source of potable water in the park. The acreage added to the diversity of wildlife habitat as well as giving the park greater ability to manage and protect natural resources at the park. Craters of the Moon protects a vanishing natural resource—the dark night sky. In 2017, the monument was designated as an International Dark Sky Park.
Indiana Dunes National Park (2016)
In August 2013, the superintendent of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, now a national park, asked if National Park Trust would acquire, hold title, and donate two parcels totaling 32.5 acres to the park. The acreage expands the park boundary to connect the visitor center, which was surrounded by private land, with the rest of the park.
The protection of this parcel prevents the land from being developed, and it will now be used for exhibits on restoration methods used throughout the lakeshore. The Park Trust held title to the properties until the land was transferred to NPS for permanent ownership in 2016. The dune and woodland park, with its tallgrass prairie remnants, is close to a heavily industrialized area. It protects 1,130 specifies of plants, and has 30% of Indiana's rare, threatened, endangered and special concern plant species.
The project was funded by Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO), a subsidiary of NISOURCE Energy as part of a $1.5 million EPA consent decree, with National Park Trust acting as its land mitigation partner.
Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (1994 & 2005)National Park Trust played a singular role in the establishment of the first national park unit devoted to the natural and cultural history of the tallgrass prairie ecosystem –Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in the Flint Hills of Kansas. In 1994, the Park Trust acquired the 10,894-acre Spring Hills/Z-Bar ranch and began a unique public/private partnership with the National Park Service for the development and management of the new park. The Park Trust donated 32 acres of land to the NPS and retained ownership of the remaining land. In 2005, the Nature Conservancy purchased the remaining acreage and today manages the Preserve in partnership with the National Park Service. The park protects and preserves original tallgrass prairie, appearing almost as it was when formed 8,000-10,000 years ago. Looks are deceiving; though it looks like a simple grassland, the prairie is one of the most complicated natural environments around.
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park (1999)From 1811 to 1816, Abraham Lincoln and his family lived on the Knob Creek Farm; he was quoted as saying that his time there was the “earliest remembrance” of his life. NPT awarded a grant of $10,000 to Preservation of Lincoln's Kentucky Heritage, Inc. for an option to buy the 228-acre property. Exercising the option kept the land from being sold to someone else while the group raised almost $1,000,000 to buy it, with another $10,000 from NPT for administrative costs, to complete the deal in 2001. The farm was transferred to the National Park Service in 2002.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (2019)
If you've seen the pristine waters and lush terrain at Maine’s Bald Mountain Pond, you’d understand why National Park Trust and our partners chose to acquire an adjacent 1,500-acre parcel of old-growth woodland to benefit the National Park Service’s Appalachian National Scenic Trail. Read more about the protection of this land.
Acadia National Park (1985)National Park Trust received a 4.76-acre parcel of land on Mount Desert Island as a bequest in April 1985 and remained in possession until November 1990, when the National Park Service purchased it for inclusion into Acadia National Park. The island park, with its shady hemlock groves and the rugged Atlantic coastline, is well known for its old carriage roads, and views of migrating hawks from the top of Cadillac Mountain.
Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Oxley Island (1993)In 1991 National Park Trust purchased the 30-acre island in the Potomac River in order to shield it from development and protect the viewshed of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The state of Maryland purchased the island in 1993 from the Park Trust and incorporated it with 29 other islands into the Maryland “Islands of the Potomac” Wildlife Management Area. Oxley is part of a group of islands just upstream from White’s Ferry.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (1996)National Park Trust purchased 1.5-acre property atop South Mountain and transferred it to the National Park Service. The site was part of a Confederate artillery position during the September 14, 1862 Battle of South Mountain, in which there were over 5,000 total casualties. Troops involved there went on to the Battle of Antietam on September 17. The land purchased also contains a short section of the Appalachian Trail, where it crosses the highway, on the north side of the road.
Piscataway Park (2001)NPT awarded a grant to the Trust for Public Land to make possible the purchase of 56 acres on Piscataway Creek, to be transferred to the National Park Service. The owner of the parcel intended to subdivide and build on the property had NPT, TPL and the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association not partnered to make the acquisition. The location of the acreage, and it’s incorporation into Piscataway Park were critical to the permanent preservation, as Congress directed, of “…lands which provide the principal overview from the Mount Vernon Estate and Fort Washington, in a manner that will insure, insofar as practical, the natural beauty of such lands as it existed at the time of...active use of Mount Vernon and Fort Washington…”
Minute Man National Historical Park (1991)National Park Trust partnered with the Trust for Public Land in the purchase of the 22.8-acre Perry Farm, which was incorporated into the park in 1992. The land was significant in that, during the April 19, 1775 battle, colonial militiamen gathered there in preparation for the coming fight. The park commemorates "the Shot Heard 'Round the World," the opening battle of the American Revolutionary War. It preserves the places and recreates the structures, like the North Bridge, which were key to the fight.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI (2018)Thanks to generous support from The Carls Foundation, National Park Trust purchased and donated property to benefit Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (MI). The property is located behind the historic Munising Range Lights and contains a non-historic house. The purchase and removal of the house improves the historic site. The historic Munising Range Lights and Keeper’s House complex, in service since 1908, is owned by the National Park Service (NPS) and still operated by the U.S. Coast Guard as an aid to navigation. The lights are arranged so that when a ship captain lines up one above the other, they will navigate safe passage along a channel into or out of the Munising Harbor. Read more about the protection of this land.
Mississippi National River & Recreation Area (1998)National Park Trust assisted the City of Dayton, MN with financial support to bridge a “funding gap” which made it possible to acquire and preserve 20 acres of natural bluffs overlooking the national river. The 72-mile river park, which passes through the metropolitan Twin Cities, offers opportunities for paddling and boating and is well-known for good bass fishing. It is a combination of federal, state, and local conservation areas, as well as historic sites such as Fort Snelling, which housed the Military Intelligence Service Language School during WWII.
Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary (2009 & 2013)In 2009 National Park Trust partnered with the Apache Software Foundation to incorporate their gracious gift of 300 native trees into the restoration of this unique 27-acre urban park. In a “hands-on” exercise, local school children planted the trees. They became part of the sanctuary’s landscape, which includes spring-fed wetland, a floodplain forest, prairie, and oak woodland habitats. The site also contains an unusual concentration of cultural resources. In 2013, NPT was able to work with the 3M Foundation who provided the lead gift to create an outdoor classroom for the sanctuary.
Missouri State Parks Foundation (2003)The Missouri State Parks Foundation is a non-profit corporation formed in 2002 by of a group of citizens committed to enhancing the state park system across Missouri. Though established in that year, they did not have the funds to begin operation. In 2003, NPT provided the financial assistance needed for the Foundation start-up. The work of the Foundation includes a partnership with Missouri State Parks to sponsor the annual Katy Trail Ride, a bicycle tour on the longest rail trail (241 miles) in the U.S. The Foundation is funded by donation and run by volunteers.
Glacier National Park (2012)In 2012, National Park Trust worked with the Trust for Public Land (TPL) to protect the Doody homestead, a 120-acre tract of land owned by Dan Doody, one of the park’s first rangers, from development. It is east of the West Glacier entrance, along the banks of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, and was the second-largest in-holding bought in the park. It is a popular stop among the thousands of rafters and anglers who pass by there each year. TPL purchased the property from the owner using resources from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). The Park Trust provided due diligence costs not covered by LWCF. Water from Glacier, part of the “Crown of the Continent”, flows to the Pacific, Hudson Bay, or the Gulf of Mexico, depending on where it starts. The high country and large remote landscapes make an ideal habitat for grizzly bears and wolves. Some of the best views in the park are from the Going-to-the-Sun Road, which crosses through the heart of the park
Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge (2001)National Park Trust matched funds with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to buy a 40-acre in-holding to incorporate into the refuge. The purchase protected the habitat on a piece of property that was prone to development. The refuge was authorized in 1935 to protect and allow the species recovery of the trumpeter swan. Acquisition of the parcel better protects their habitat along with that of birds such as the white pelican, white-faced ibis and sandhill crane.
Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge (2000)NPT awarded grants which supplied “gap” funding for the timely purchase by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service of two parcels that totaled 280 acres. Acquiring the land furthered the purpose of the refuge; to restore essential wildlife habitat that became scarce after the river was "improved" for navigation in the 1960s. The refuge is on a major migratory waterfowl flyway, and shelters endangered species such as the peregrine falcon, interior least tern, and piping plover.
Valles Caldera National Preserve (2019)
Since 2008, our friends at the National Park Service have had their eye on the 40-acre parcel hoping it would be put up for sale. Their chance finally came this year, and Park Trust's community of supporters were there to quickly provide funding for its purchase. Read more about the protection of this park.
Pecos National Historical Park (1992 & 1997)In 1992 National Park Trust assisted in the purchase of the 40-acre Rivera Tract within the Glorieta Pass region of Pecos National Monument. Then in 1997, the Park Trustassisted with the acquisition of land within Pigeon's Ranch, a battlefield in Glorieta Pass, it was the site of an 1862 Civil War battle that kept New Mexico under Union control. The park preserves evidence of the life of a prehistoric Southwest people and the story of the Spanish exploration of America. It holds the remains of what was once the largest Native American pueblo in the Southwest. Pecos Pueblo dominated a major trading route between the farming Pueblo Indians and Great Plains' hunters and was a way station on the Santa Fe Trail.
El Malpais National Monument (1994)National Park Trust helped to purchase 5 acres in a subdivision inside the boundaries of the park. It was part of a larger project by NPS to acquire the remaining in-holdings in the park. El Malpais translates from the Spanish as “the bad land” or “the bad country”. The region was once home to extensive lava flows and the resulting dry climate creates a very difficult environment for plants and animals, but they are aided by temporary water pools or tinajas that are found there. The park is noted for its network of lava tube caves, underground passages that were pathways for the flow of lava.
Bandelier National Monument (1998)National Park Trust provided funds to complete the purchase of 90 acres at Elk Meadows on the northwest side of the park. Acquisition and incorporation of the parcel into Bandelier National Monument protected the park watershed and several archaeological sites from the onset of housing development in the area. The owner of the land had subdivided it and intended to develop it if the Park Trust had not contributed to the purchase. The park preserves the ruins and history of the Ancestral Pueblo people, who lived there for about 400 years, until about 1550. There is also evidence of nomadic peoples who hunted and gathered here for over 10,000 years, until the era of the Ancestral Pueblo people in about 1150.
Women’s Rights National Historical Park (1993 & 1996)National Park Trust partnered with the Trust for Public Land and National Park Foundation in 1993 to help purchase the historic home of Jacob Chamberlain, a participant in the 1848 First Women’s Rights Convention in Seneca Falls, and a signer of the Declaration of Sentiments at that convention. In a separate transaction in 1996, the Park Trust helped the National Park Service acquire the final parcel of land of the historic Elizabeth Cady Stanton home. Stanton was an organizer of the 1848 convention, and a women’s rights activist, suffragist, and abolitionist who wrote the Declaration of Sentiments.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail, NY (2018)
The National Park Trust partnered with The Trust for Public Land, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and Oblong Land Conservancy in the $2.38 million purchase of 219 acres of wooded land which was transferred to the National Park Service on the Appalachian National Scenic Trail in July 2018. The project was the number one priority for NPS nationwide for 2018.
The addition of the property to the AT allows a re-route of the trail, moving it away from the habitat of two endangered species: the bog turtle and New England cottontail rabbit. It also preserves several scenic viewpoints; the land would have been sold for a residential subdivision had it not been acquired for the AT.
Visitors can reach the property by a 2-hour train trip from Grand Central Station in New York City, disembarking at the Appalachian Trail Train Stop. Read more about the protection of this land.
Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site (2001)National Park Trust worked with the park superintendent, supplying funding for the acquisition of two parcels of land on the banks of the Missouri River, across from the park. The two tracts, totaling about 21 acres, allowed NPS to maintain the cultural landscape; visitors standing at the fort would be able to look across the river and see a scene that appeared much as it was when the fort and trading post was in operation during the mid-1800s. The purchased land also preserved shoreline wetlands. Fort Union Trading Post was the most important and most profitable fur trading post on the upper Missouri River, where Assiniboine and other Northern Plains tribes peacefully traded as many as 25,000 buffalo robes for goods from around the world. It operated as a privately owned trading post from 1828-1867 and hosted notable public figures such as George Catlin and John James Audubon. Ned Glass “the Revenant” spent time there as a hunter for the fort.
Washita Battlefield National Historic Site (2018)National Park Trust worked with the National Park Service and the Oklahoma Historical Society on the acquisition of an important 3-acre property inside Washita Battlefield National Historic Site (OK). NPT staff did research on and proposed a strategy and funds for purchase and transfer of the land to the National Park Service, solving a problem that had stalled the project for 21 years. The parcel, located along the south edge of the park, provides the best vantage point to view the battlefield landscape. On this acreage, the National Park Service developed an overlook facility and trail improvements that enhance the visitor experience and access at the park. NPT’s assistance is timely; 2018 marked 150 years since the early morning surprise attack by the U.S. 7th Cavalry forces, led by George Armstrong Custer, on the village of Southern Cheyenne Peace Chief Black Kettle, November 27, 1868. Black Kettle and his wife lost their lives in the attack, and Custer retreated when he saw a superior force assembling on the hills near the village. The project would not have been possible without the partnership with the Oklahoma Historical Society, and their great interest in preserving this important site and its story. Read more about the protection of this land.
John Day Fossil Beds National Monument (1998)National Park Trust purchased 40 acres from the state of Oregon in the Painted Hills unit of the park and transferred it to NPS by donation. The acreage protected and preserved has significant paleontological resources, as well as unique and colorful geology. It also transferred a portion of park access road from private ownership. Fossils on the parcel date back about 30-million years and provide great examples of prehistoric plants and seeds. This park boasts 88 million years of geology and over 40 million years of fossil history. Since the fossil beds are of more “recent” geologic times, they feature plants and mammals, not dinosaurs.
Gettysburg National Military Park (1998)NPT, Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg, and the Civil War Trust cooperated to fund purchase of a 135-acre scenic and preservation easement of the historic John Rummel Farm. The land was the site of a cavalry engagement on the last day of the battle in which Confederate forces under the command of General JEB Stuart attempted an attack on the rear of the Union forces. They were stopped by cavalry units led by Union General David M. Gregg; one his more aggressive officers in repelling the attack was General George Armstrong Custer.
Lake Meredith National Recreation Area (2018)National Park Trust completed a project to preserve an archaeological area containing evidence of the Antelope Creek people, a Native American tribe. The acquisition and donation of this 3-acre property will enhance the open space and views of a nearby trail, and the enjoyment of individuals who hike to the mesa in which the parcel is located. With this land acquisition, there are no further inholdings or private landowners within the recreation area. Read more about the protection of this land.
Zion National Park, UT (2018)National Park Trust worked with The Trust for Public Land and the National Park Foundation to purchase the 35 acre in-holding—a privately owned piece of land inside the park—and donate the land to the National Park Service. The land is near Firepit Knoll, on the Kolob Terrace in the north west area of the park and is an important section of the park for hikers traveling the popular Hop Valley Trail. In protecting this area from development, visitors can continue to enjoy the natural landscape and scenic views unique to Zion. This is the second project for NPT at Zion National Park; in 2012, we assisted TPL with the acquisition of 30 acres on Kolob Terrace at the foot of Tabernacle Dome.
Zion National Park (2012)At Zion National Park in southwestern Utah, The National Park Trust (NPT) partnered with the Trust for Public Lands (TPL), to protect a 30 acre property on the Kolob Terrace at the foot of Tabernacle Dome, a steeply rounded peak rising to 6430 ft. from Cave Valley. An anonymous donor, working with the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA) and The Trust for Public Land, donated $825,000 so the land could be purchased and given to the park. NPT provided funds to accomplish the important due diligence steps to complete the acquisition of the land from a private owner. The land can be viewed along the Kolob Terrace road, a popular scenic route and the Tabernacle Dome area is popular for its hiking trails, camping, and spectacular vistas. Protection of this 30 acre property expands public access and ensures that views cherished by visitors will not be diminished by development. At least one property in the area that wasn’t part of the 30 acres has been built upon.
Hovenweep National Monument and Bureau of Land Management (1998)National Park Trust assisted the Bureau of Land Management with funds to acquire 640 acres of private land south of Hovenweep National Monument. The purchase of the property protected the viewshed and natural quiet of the park. The property was outside the park’s legislated boundary, so it was necessary for the BLM to purchase it for the protection of park resources. There are 5 village sites in the park dating back to over 10,000 years ago. They have dwellings, kivas, and multistory towers perched on canyon rims and balanced on boulders, once home to over 2,500 ancestral Puebloans in the late 1200s. The park’s remote location and careful management of light at nights let the park to be certified as an International Dark Sky Park in 2014. That means visitors can see much the same night sky as the Puebloans 800 years ago.
Appalachian National Scenic Trail (2020)
The National Park Trust transferred ownership of 239 acres of land to the National Park Service in one of the most popular areas of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (AT). The landowner wanted to sell before the National Park Service could accept it, so in June 2019, the Park Trust stepped in as owner until it could become part of the AT. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Conservation Fund purchased the land with funds from the Virginia Outdoor Foundation. Thousands of hikers each year see Hogan Hollow from McAfee Knob; the 3,197-foot overlook is thought to be one of the most scenic views on the AT. They say people take the more pictures here than any other place on the Appalachian Trail. Permanent protection by the National Park Service preserves natural views without the disruption of development or logging on the land. Read more about the protection of this land.
Colonial National Historical Park (1994)National Park Trust loaned funds for the purchase of 20 undeveloped lots in a subdivision along the Colonial Parkway, in Colonial National Historical Park. The subdivision was under active development, so the acquisition of the parcels protected the viewshed along the parkway, as well as adding a buffer between the residences and the park. The park preserves important chapters in American history, from 1607, with the founding of the first English settlement in North America at Jamestown, to 1781, where General George Washington defeated General Cornwallis at Yorktown, and ended the Revolutionary War.
Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve, WA (2018)National Park Trust filled a funding gap required to purchase a property at Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve. NPT, Historic Whidbey, National Park Foundation, National Park Service, and numerous local partners worked together to make the acquisition. The property which includes a length of shoreline on Penn Cove, an offshoot of Skagit Bay was also the site of the 150-year old historic Haller House, one of Washington state’s oldest homes. The house was initially built in 1859 before Colonel Granville Haller, a Civil War veteran, arrived on Whidbey Island in 1866 and purchased the property. The house has remained largely untouched from its original construction, and its historic appearance will be protected by a permanent easement.
Olympic National Park (2017)
In December 2017, the first year in the second century of the National Park Service, NPT completed the acquisition of a property at Olympic National Park (WA) – just under 0.5 acres. Although small in size, it is big in ecological significance. The parcel was surrounded on three sides by Olympic National Park; it was the only parcel in that block that did not belong to the National Park Service. Its acquisition will keep it in its natural state by preventing further development. It helps protect Grandey Creek, which runs along the property edge, as well as water quality for the Quinault River and Lake, adjacent to the park. The lake and river system support populations of sockeye, chum and Chinook salmon as well as steelhead, bull and Dolly Varden trout. The Quinault National Fish Hatchery, downstream from the lake, raises salmon and steelhead which populate the river. All deserve protection.
Olympic National Park (1990)National Park Trust purchased subdivided lots totaling 6 acres on the shore of Lake Quinault. The parcels were part of an area being developed but were permanently preserved in their natural state as mature forest by NPT’s acquisition and donation to the National Park Service. Several of the trees on the property, mature Sitka spruce and western red cedar, were estimated to be over 600 years old.
Harpers Ferry Town Park (2007)NPT partnered with the Harpers Ferry Conservancy to purchase land for a town park. The purchase was to add on to the town park and maintain the area in a natural state. By removing the steeply sloped area from private ownership and possible development, the town hoped to create a natural buffer for storm water as it ran down through Harpers Ferry National Historical Park to the Potomac River.
Harpers Ferry Conservancy (1998)NPT provided a grant to assist in the development of a strategy to conserve lands within a 25 mile radius of Harper's Ferry National Historical Park.
Blackwater Falls State Park (2000)National Park Trust provided the West Virginia Highlands Conservancy a one-time grant to educate people on the need to protect the park. The park is at the end of Blackwater Canyon, which is 8 miles long and up to 1,000 feet deep. The US Forest Service manages the canyon and its prohibition of logging and maintenance of hiking trail enhances the recreational purposes of the park.
George Washington National Forest (2003)National Park Trust acquired the oil and mineral rights to 5,676 acres of land in West Virginia within the George Washington National Forest and continues to own and monitor these rights. The combined George Washington and Thomas Jefferson National Forests cover 1.8 million acres across Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky; 1 million acres of it are remote and undeveloped. The forests also share boundaries with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park. The Appalachian Trail runs 330 miles through both national forests.
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (1993)NPT provided initial funding to the Civil War Trust to ensure the purchase of 56 acres of historically significant land between School House Ridge and Bolivar Heights, after which it was permanently protected by transfer to the National Park Service. The parcel acquired had been platted and a 118-townhouse development planned for the site. The land was important in the Battle of Harpers Ferry, September 13-15, 1862. It was the area between the Confederate and Union lines over which they exchanged fire. It was in the area where 12,000 Union troops surrendered to Confederate forces commanded by Major General Stonewall Jackson after the battle.
Washington Family Legacy (2010)NPT applied for and received a $150,000 Save America’s Treasures grant to restore one of the eight remaining Washington Family homes in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. NPT also worked to raise the required matching funds needed to receive the grant. Bushrod Corbin Washington, George Washington's grandnephew, built Claymont Court around 1820, near Charles Town, WV. The 265 acres of land around the mansion was placed under a conservation easement through the American Battlefield Protection Program, protecting it from development in perpetuity.
Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway (2020)
National Park Trust added 145 acres to the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. The complex project involved a land exchange in which the Park Trust worked with the Wisconsin Board of Commissioners of Public Lands to identify and then purchase valuable timberland; then that land was traded for three parcels of land owned by the State of Wisconsin in the north-central part of Wisconsin. Those three parcels were then transferred from the Park Trust to the National Park Service within days of taking ownership.
Now a part of the scenic riverway, this land adds to the important natural corridor of the Riverway and strengthens the protection of its ecological and scenic values. The Riverway protects over 230 miles of clean, free-flowing water and serves as critical habitat for over 100 species of fish, more than 55 mammals including wolves, and over 40 species of mussels, 5 of them endangered. The rivers, in northwest Wisconsin and east-central Minnesota, flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Read more about the protection of this land.
Fort Laramie National Historic Site (1986)
National Park Trust secured funds to purchase the final in-holding, completing the park. The fort began as Fort William, a trading post in 1834, transitioning from fur to buffalo robes. It became Fort Laramie in 1849, when the U.S. Army bought it. Fort Laramie became the principal outpost in the Northern Plains and primary hub of transportation and communication in the central Rocky Mountain region. The Mormon and Oregon Trails passed through the fort, as did the Pony Express, stage lines, and the transcontinental telegraph.
The military abandoned the fort in 1890, and the buildings were auctioned by the U.S. government. A number were bought and occupied; 12 of them survived into the 1930s to be incorporated into the park. They are all that remains of the original 70 or so buildings but are a well-preserved reminder of the past.
U.S. Virgin Islands
Virgin Islands National Park (1997)In 1997, National Park Trust provided a grant to Friends of Virgin Islands National Park for program support in their efforts to acquire Gilbey Beach, a 2 ½ acre section of shoreline in Hawksnest Bay, and transfer it to the National Park Service. The transfer allowed NPS to partner with the Trust for Public Land to secure federal funding of $2 million for, and negotiate the purchase of the waterfront property. The conveyance to the National Park Service was completed in 2000, permanently protecting the area from further development. The park is a combination of marine and land-based resources. About 40% of the park is underwater, with coral reef and white sand beaches. A tour of land will reveal ruins from the 1700s-1800s sugar trade as well as 3,000-year-old petroglyphs of the Taino Indians.
Virgin Islands National Park (2005)
In 2002, National Park Trust partnered with a non-profit foundation to buy approximately 5.36 acres of land, with ocean shoreline, for more than $1.1 million. The land was adjacent to the southeastern national park boundary along Drunk Bay. Though undeveloped, the area had already been subdivided and road access had been added. The purchase of the land by the Park Trust and transfer by donation to the National Park Service in 2005 brought most of the coastline of Drunk Bay and Nanny Point under permanent protection from what could have been beachfront development.
Incorporating the shoreline into the park allows the National Park Service to better manage access and protect the nearby Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument. The transferred property also added a population of a very rare plant, Solanum conocarpum (Marron bacora) to the park. The plant, a member of the tomato family, was once found in Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. John, and Tortola (British V.I.) but now only lives on St. John and Tortola, a total of fewer than 200 plants exist today.